Lawyers for Copyright Registration in Tanzania
At Lexglobe IP Services, we regularly represent authors and other copyright owners in applying to register their copyrights in Tanzania. Although copyrights arise automatically, registration with the Copyright Society of Tanzania (COSOTA) affords several important benefits. As a result, all copyright owners should consider seeking to register their protected works. Our copyright lawyers can help you navigate the registration process and make sure your copyright portfolio is adequately protected.
Benefits of Copyright Registration in Tanzania
Copyright owners in Tanzania enjoy a number of exclusive rights under the Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act, 1999. These include the rights of reproduction, distribution, rental of the original work, public exhibition and performance, translation, adaptation, broadcasting and other communication, and importation of copies of the copyrighted work. The benefits of registration lie in enhancing owners’ ability to protect and commercialize these exclusive rights.
Some of the benefits of copyright registration include:
- Making it easier to prove copyright ownership in the event of an ownership dispute or instance of infringement;
- Making it easier for third parties to identify the owners of the various copyrights in protected works; and,
- Enabling copyright owners to claim and receive royalties both within and outside of Tanzania.
Requirements to Apply for Copyright Registration
The copyright registration process begins with filing an application with COSOTA. The Copyright Administrator reviews all applications to ensure that the works that are subject to new applications have not previously been registered. All applicants must use COSOTA’s standard forms, and must submit the following documents and information along with their application:
- Two copies of the copyrighted work;
- Two passport-size photos of the applicant;
- A copy of the applicant’s passport, National Identity card or birth certificate;
- A copy of the passport, National Identify card or birth certificate of the applicant’s next of kin; and,
- A copy of any agreement or other document evidencing other rights holders’ contributions to and/or ownership of the copyrighted work.
For certain types of works, additional information may be required. For example, for works authored by a band or choir, the application must also include the names of all members of the group and the group’s representative. For computer software, the application must include a proposal that explains the software’s unique features and performance.
At Lexglobe IP Services, we have extensive experience helping clients register all types of copyrighted works with COSOTA. We can also assist you if the Copyright Administrator has denied your application for registration. We also regularly assist clients with registration of copyright licenses and assignments, and if someone is infringing on your registered copyright, we can help you legally enforce your intellectual property rights.
Contact Lexglobe IP Services about Applying for Copyright Registration in Tanzania
Lexglobe IP Services is a Tanzanian intellectual property law firm that assists owners with all aspects of intellectual property protection and commercialization. If you are seeking to register your copyrights in Tanzania, we encourage you to give us a call. To speak with a copyright lawyer about filing your application, dial 255 22 212 4127 or contact us online today.