LEXGLOBE LLP | INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ATTORNEYS SERVING CLIENTS IN TANZANIA, ZANZIBAR AND OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES
Established in 1999, Lexglobe LLP is a mid-sized Tanzanian law firm that focuses on providing representation for international clients in intellectual property matters in Tanzania, Zanzibar and other countries throughout Africa.
The need to protect intellectual property in Africa is growing with the rapid expansion of international trade, and at Lexglobe LLP we understand the value that patents, trademarks, copyrights, designs and other intellectual property assets bring to entrepreneurs and established companies seeking to do business here and abroad.
With our narrow focus, Lexglobe LLP has distinguished itself among Tanzanian law firms by developing an efficient, sophisticated and specialized practice in the area of intellectual property.
Extensive Experience Representing Intellectual Property Clients Worldwide
Today, we represent more than 700 foreign clients from more than 40 countries around the world who are seeking to establish and enforce their intellectual property rights in Africa. Our intellectual property lawyers are among the best in Tanzania. They teach intellectual property law courses in universities, and our lawyers and legal assistants alike are skilled at identifying, registering, protecting, enforcing and marketing intellectual property in Tanzania and Zanzibar. Through our network of associates, we provide intellectual property law services in other African countries as well.
Lexglobe LLP is wholly-owned by LawCastles. LawCastles is a Tanzanian law firm that specializes in providing services to foreign individuals and entities in the areas of corporate and commercial law. The majority of LawCastles’ clients are located outside of Tanzania, and range from some of the best-known global organizations to start-up companies and entrepreneurs.
Our Intellectual Property Services for Global Clients
Our lawyers handle both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters. We regularly represent clients in the following areas:
- Trademarks – Including trademark searching, clearance, registration, licensing, assignments and enforcement.
- Patents – Including filing international patent applications, negotiating and conducting due diligence for commercial transactions, and patent litigation.
- Utility Models – Including filing utility model applications in Tanzania, Zanzibar and other African countries, as well as representing clients in commercial transactions and litigation.
- Copyrights – Including prosecuting registration applications and advising clients on complex issues under the Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act, 1999 and international conventions to which Tanzania is a party.
- Designs – Including administering registration of designs in Tanzania and other African countries, negotiating licenses and assignments, and representing clients in litigation.
- Plant Breeders’ Rights – Including assisting in the registration of new plant varieties, negotiating licenses and assignments, and representing clients in cancellation and infringement proceedings.
- IP Audit and Verification – Including evaluating the legal status of intellectual property assets in mergers and acquisitions, providing support for other complex transactions, and conducting audits for companies adopting new policies and expanding into new areas.
- Passing Off – Including advising international clients on the viability of filing passing-off claims in Tanzania. Under the Tanzanian law, passing off is a tort that provides remedies to owners of intellectual property rights that are not registered in Tanzania.
A highlight of our recent experience was providing advisory services that resulted in the amicable resolution of the copyright dispute involving translation of the Bible into Kiswahili. In 2014, our firm received a Certificate of Appreciation from the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO).
Contact Lexglobe LLP About Your Intellectual Property Needs
For more information about our services, we invite you to contact us for an initial consultation. To speak with an intellectual property attorney at Lexglobe LLP, call our offices in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania at 255 22 212 4127 or contact us online today.